As previously announced, the animation presentation happening at Disney’s D23 Expo 2013 sounds like it’s going to rule. Disney has just announced more details of who will be appearing during the presentation along with other animation-related events happening throughout the weekend. The D23 Expo 2013 takes place August 9 -11, 2013 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, CA.
For the “Art and Imagination: Animation at The Walt Disney Studios” presentation hosted by John Lasseter in the D23 Arena (aka giant arena at the Anaheim Convention center), Disney fans can expect appearances from both Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel from Frozen. Also in attendance will be Dane Cook from Disneytoon Studio’s upcoming Planes. We’ve been told to “anticipate surprise appearances” from more of our “favorite stars” as well. (Friday, August 9, 10:00 a.m.)
Throughout the weekend, Disney fans in attendance will have the chance to go behind the scenes with the talent from Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios with several panels, including:
- Inside the Ice: The Art of Disney’s Frozen
- Walt Disney Animation Studios’ big-screen comedy adventure Frozen, with its icy setting and colorful cast of characters, presented breathtaking opportunities, plus a few challenges for filmmakers. Join the team behind the movie for an exclusive look at the art and animation of Frozen. (Saturday, August 10, 10:30 a.m.)
- The Art of The Good Dinosaur
- Pixar Animation Studios’ latest feature explores what might have happened if the cataclysmic asteroid that forever changed life on Earth actually missed the planet completely and giant dinosaurs never became extinct. Take a closer look at this imaginative world of possibility and the artistry and production design behind it. (Saturday, August 10, 3 p.m.)
- Toy Story OF TERROR! and the Motivation Behind Pixar’s Short Form Content
- From toys on vacation to tow-riffic four wheelers, Pixar keeps some of their most beloved characters alive and well through short-form content. Angus MacLane, director of Toy Story OF TERROR!, a new adventure featuring Woody, Buzz and the Toy Story gang set for release on TV this fall; producer Galyn Susman; and other Pixar short-form filmmakers share their experiences and discuss the exciting challenges of expanding the worlds of these characters loved by audiences across the globe. (Saturday, August 10, 5 p.m.)
- Pixar: Doing Our Homework
- Research is an integral part of the filmmaking process, and with a story in hand, Pixar artists set out to become experts, immersing themselves in places, people and experiences that inspire and inform their filmmaking, whether it be spirited Scots, delectable French cuisine, or deep-sea adventures. (Friday, August 9, 6 p.m.)
- Women of Pixar
- Jessie. Dory. Sally. Merida. Although they never cross paths and exist in different worlds, these iconic Pixar females have one thing in common: girl power. Meet a dynamic group of women from Pixar, whose experience and success at the studio have helped craft some of the most memorable animated films in recent history. They will share stories from their journeys and the lessons they have learned along the way. (Sunday, August 11, 1 p.m.)
Also as previously reported, D23 Expo 2013 attendees will also have access to a special screening of Disney’s Planes in 3D, featuring an introduction by some “very special guests” (most likely director Klay Hall and star Dane Cook). (Friday, August 9, 3 p.m.)
Walt Disney Animation Studios will also have a pavilion on the D23 Expo convention floor, so if you’re going, make sure to stop by to see what their daily schedule is and check out the cool art that they’ll have on display. During the 2011 Expo, there were daily signings, giveaways, and other cool stuff from Walt Disney Animation Studios and the Disney Animation Research Library which I would anticipate also occurring at the 2013 Expo.
Other Disney and Pixar artists will be in attendance and are scheduled for product signings and other convention-related activities. More info can be found by downloading the D23 Expo app from iTunes and Google Play stores.
We at Animation Fascination will be at the D23 Expo and will keep you updated with all of the Disney news and updates over the entire Expo weekend.
Are you excited for the D23 Expo 2013? Are you attending? Let us know in the comments below.
Looking forward to it, Stanford. I wrote a pre-post on the D23 expo as well, and some info on Frozen – http://www.bayareascreenwriters.org/d23-frozen-and-scriptnotes-on-the-little-mermaid/
Pingback: “The Disney Songbook” Concert at the D23 Expo 2013 Features Disney Legends, Classic Songs | Animation Fascination
Pingback: “Animation Fascination” Episode 50: Fascinated by Animation | Animation Fascination