The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences (The Oscars) recently released the names of the 19 films that are vying for this year’s Best Animated Feature Film award. Here’s the list in alphabetical order along with the studio that created each film:
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (Sony Pictures Animation)
- The Croods (DreamWorks Animation)
- Despicable Me 2 (Illumination Entertainment)
- Epic (Blue Sky Studios)
- Ernest and Celestine (Les Armateurs)
- The Fake (STUDIO DADASHOW)
- Free Birds (Reel FX)
- Frozen (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
- Khumba (Triggerfish Animation Studios)
- The Legend of Sarila (10th Avenue Productions)
- A Letter to Momo (Production I.G.)
- Monsters University (Pixar Animation Studios)
- O Apóstolo (Artefacto Producciones)
- Planes (Disneytoon Studios)
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Movie – Rebellion (Shaft)
- Rio: 2096 A Story of Love and Fury (Gullane)
- The Smurfs 2 (Sony Pictures Animation)
- Turbo (DreamWorks Animation)
- The Wind Rises (Studio Ghibli)
The animated feature films submitted in the Best Animated Feature Film category can also qualify for the Best Picture category, provided the films meet the Academy’s release and distribution requirements.
The films in the list come from all over the world (U.S.A., France, Korea, Canada, Japan, Brazil, South Africa and other countries) and include all different animation types—CG, traditional hand-drawn, stop-motion, and live-action/animated mix.
It will be interesting to see which of these films gets nominated for Best Animated Feature Film (and if any of them will get a Best Picture nod, too). Nominations will be announced on Thursday, January 16, 2014. The 86th Academy Awards will be broadcast live on the ABC Television Network in the U.S. on Oscar Sunday, March 2, 2014.
Pingback: “Animation Fascination” Episode 54: Top Ten Animated Disney Films of All Time with Tom Fonss | Animation Fascination