You’re not dreaming — Disney Animation‘s 1959 classic feature film Sleeping Beauty is back on Blu-ray on today (a Platinum Edition Blu-ray of Sleeping Beauty was last released exactly 6 years ago today in 2008). This time, the animated motion picture is getting the Diamond Edition treatment from The Walt Disney Studios with some cool new bonus features along with being available for the first time in Digital HD.
New bonus features include:
- ‘Once Upon A Parade’ (Starring Sarah Hyland) —Behind every attraction, event and parade at the Magic Kingdom is a unique story. Join Sarah Hyland from ABC’s Modern Family as she tells us the tale of Walt Disney World’s new Festival of Fantasy Parade. This magical ‘in world’ short film goes behind the scenes of the new parade and shows how the residents and characters of Fantasyland created this parade to tell their stories.
- Art of Evil: Generations of Disney Villains – This legacy piece spotlights Disney’s favorite villain animator, Marc Davis and his infamous creations of characters such as Maleficent and Cruella De Vil. Throughout the piece, we will talk to modern-day animators like Andreas Deja and also the new generation of Animators (Lino DiSalvo, animation director of Frozen) on how Marc’s designs and characters influenced what they do today.
- @DisneyAnimation: ARTISTS IN MOTION (Extended Edition) – Join Walt Disney Animation Studios’ visual development artist Brittney Lee as she goes through the process of creating a three-dimensional sculpture of Maleficent, completely out of paper. In this extended edition, go deeper into Britney’s process.
- Never Before Seen Deleted Scenes:
- The Fair (with deleted character, The Vulture) – In this version of the story, the fairies do not take the Princess to live with them in the forest. Convinced that King Stefan’s order to burn all the spinning wheels in the kingdom will not prevent Maleficent’s curse, the good fairies put a magic circle around the castle and cast a spell: ‘No evil thing that walks or flies or creeps or crawls can ever pass these castle walls.’
- The Curse Is Fulfilled – The three good fairies have just returned Aurora to the castle and given her a crown. They leave the room to give Aurora some time alone…but Maleficent pays her a visit.
- Arrival of Maleficent (Alternate Scene) – Maleficent arrives uninvited to the christening of the Princess Aurora.
- BEAUTY-OKE ‘Once Upon A Dream’ – Sing along to this kinetic text video of Aurora’s signature song.
Here’s a sneak peek at the new and very cool @DisneyAnimation ARTISTS IN MOTION bonus feature with Walt Disney Animation Studios’ Brittany Lee creating a paper 3D sculpture of Maleficent.
“Classic” (aka released on a previous version) bonus features include:
- The Sound of Beauty: Restoring a Classic – This featurette covers the creation of the 7.1 mix of the score of Sleeping Beauty that was done for 2008 Blu-ray, using the source tapes from the original recording sessions resulting in an audio experience of superior quality with greater detail and fidelity that you have ever heard before.
- Picture Perfect: The Making of Sleeping Beauty – Discover the behind-the-scenes magic that transformed a beloved fairy tale into a cinematic work of art. Legendary animators, actors and film historians reveal the secrets behind Disney’s masterpiece.
- Eyvind Earle: A Man and His Art – Early in his career, renowned American artist Eyvind Earle worked as a background painter at the Walt Disney Studio. Walt Disney liked his work so much that he entrusted him with the assignment to be the art director for Sleeping Beauty. This was the first time that one artist was given the responsibility for the entire look on one of Disney’s animated features. This piece follows Earle’s development as an artist and his years at the Studio.
- Audio Commentary by John Lasseter, Andreas Deja and Leonard Maltin.
Also coming on October 7th is a new two-disc CD set of the Sleeping Beauty soundtrack from Walt Disney Records. Part of Disney’s Legacy Collection introduced earlier this year, the new CD set contains beautiful art from Walt Disney Animation Studios artist Lorelay Bove along with never before released demos and tracks from the creation of the film.
Are any of these new Sleeping Beauty items from Disney on your 2014 holiday shopping list? Let us know in the comments below.
Source: Stitch Kingdom