Disney to Release Signature Collection Edition of ‘Beauty and the Beast’

beauty and the beast 01

(© Disney)

The Walt Disney Studios’ next release in their new “Signature Collection” home entertainment series is the 1991 animated classic Beauty and the Beast. We got the scoop from Yahoo! Movies about the upcoming re-release and what to expect when it hits shelves and online retailers this fall.

The digital release will include a whopping four versions of the film:

  1. Original theatrical version from 1991
  2. Work-in-progress version which was shown at the New York Film Festival in September 1991; it includes 80% completed animation and the remaining 20% in storyboard and rough animation form (and it’s fantastic)
  3. “Special Edition” version from 2002 which was released in IMAX theaters and includes the “Human Again” song and animated sequence
  4. A sing-along version

Most of these versions have been on previous releases of the film, so it’s great that they will be also a part in this new collection.

Other bonus features include:

  • Behind-the-scenes look at the film’s original voice recording sessions
  • Documentary about Walt Disney’s two failed attempts to adapt Beauty and the Beast between the 1930s and 1950s
  • Roundtable of Disney composers, including Moana writer and Hamilton creator Lin-Manuel Miranda and the Frozen and Gigantic songwriting team of Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez, performing songs and revealing how the music of Beauty and the Beast influenced them
  • The Digital HD version also has five additional hours of bonus material from previous releases of the film, including deleted scenes and an alternate version of “Be Our Guest”
  • Sneak peek at the new live-action version of the film (based on animated film and the Broadway play produced by Disney Theatrical) scheduled to be released March 17th, 2017
img_0001

(© Disney)

The film, which is also celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2016, will be released on all digital platforms (including the Disney Movies Anywhere app/website) on September 6th. A Blu-ray+DVD release is scheduled to follow on September 20th (artwork is shown above and is subject to change, of course).

Since this is one of my favorite films from the “second golden age” of Disney Animation, it all sounds great to me! We’ll keep you posted as we learn more.

Source: Yahoo! Movies

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s