Disney Animation’s 1994 smash The Lion King is getting a new Digital HD/Blu-ray release as part of Walt Disney Home Entertainment’s latest branding effort, the Walt Disney Signature Collection.
The digital version of The Lion King will be released on August 15th. The new Blu-ray will be available on August 29th.
The Lion King is the fifth title to join the Walt Disney Signature Collection. The other films are Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Beauty and the Beast, Pinocchio, and Bambi.
The film and its characters continue to be an important part of Disney’s entertainment offerings. The Broadway musical version is still going strong–it’s now the third longest running musical in Broadway history–and touring companies continue to perform to sold-out crowds around the world. And in 2019, a reimagined “live-action” (aka photo-realistic CGI) film, helmed by director Jon Favreau, will be coming to a movie theater near you.
Special features on the new Signature Collection Blu-ray and Digital HD release include (bonus features may vary by retailer):
- New “Sing-Along Version” of the film
- Audio commentary with producer Don Hahn and co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff
- “Visualizing a Villain” – Against a backdrop of live dancers and the animated “Be Prepared” sequence, artist David Garibaldi paints a masterpiece of evil
- “The Recording Sessions” – Watch rare footage of the actors recording their roles, matched with the final animation with intro by Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff
- “Nathan and Matthew: The Extended Lion King Conversation” – Nathan Lane (Timon) and Matthew Broderick (Adult Simba) offer candid and hilarious insights into their Lion King experiences
- “Inside the Story Room” – Co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff present archival footage of five original story pitches
- “Circle of Life” – See how color creates emotion and meaning in the film’s iconic opening
- “Simba and Nala” – See how elements proposed in story meetings evolve into what appears onscreen
- “Simba Takes Nala Out to Play” – Sometimes what seems funny in story meetings never makes it into the film
- “Hakuna Matata” – Co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff sing, act, and dance their hearts out as they pitch the “Hakuna Matata” sequence
- “Rafiki and Reflecting Pool” – Co-directors Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff pitch to producer Don Hahn a sequence that became the emotional heart of the film
- “Music & More” – Sing along to your favorite songs from the movie
- “Circle of Life”
- “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King”
- “Be Prepared”
- “Hakuna Matata”
- “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”
- Visual Development – Explore a gallery of striking artwork that inspired the movie’s look and feel
- Character Design – Trace the development of the film’s characters through early concept art drawings
- Storyboards – Examine storyboards created in the development of the film
- Layouts – Feast your eyes on layouts created during the film’s development
- Backgrounds & Layouts – Journey through a gallery of landscape paintings that shaped the world of The Lion King
- Classic Bonus Features (Digital Only) – These offerings from prior home entertainment releases include hours of bonus material, such as bloopers, audio commentary, deleted and alternate scenes, and in-depth journeys into the music, film, story, animals, and stage show.
Product SKUs: Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray, DVD, Digital Copy), Digital HD/SD, DVD
Feature Run Time: Approximately 89 minutes
Rating: G in U.S. and Canada
Aspect Ratio: Blu-ray Feature Film = 1080p High Definition / 1.78:1; DVD Feature Film = 1.78:1
Audio: Blu-ray = English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, Spanish and French 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks; DVD = English, Spanish, and French 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks
Subtitles: English ESL, English SDH, French, and Spanish