Celebrating the opening of Pixar’s Monsters University, the Disney Parks marketing team held a media event last night in Epcot Park at Walt Disney World announcing their new “Monstrous Summer” promotion for Disney’s U.S.-based theme parks. With a giant Mike Wazowski projection on Epcot’s Spaceship Earth geodesic dome, Mike along with Walt Disney World president George Kalogridis made some cool announcements for events happening the summer at both the Walt Disney Resort in Florida and at the Disneyland Resort in California.
The biggest announcement (which has been rumored for weeks) is a Monsters University themed all night party on May 24 at Magic Kingdom Park in Florida and both Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park in California. The parks will stay open from 6:00 a.m., May 24 to 6:00 a.m., May 25, 2013. Disney held a similar and very successful (and very crowded) 24-hour party at Disneyland Park and Magic Kingdom Park to celebrate Leap Day last year on February 29, 2012. Opening up Disney California Adventure Park to the party should help alleviate the crowds which practically paralyzed the area around Disneyland Park during the extremely popular event last year.
Other park-specific items for Disney Parks’ “Monstrous Summer” include:
WALT DISNEY WORLD IN FLORIDA
- The “Monster-rail” with Monsters University characters on the exterior of a monorail at Walt Disney World.
- A new Monsters University meet-and-greet in the Backlot area at Disney’s Hollywood Studios Park themed to the Monsters University Student Union, complete with a view of the MU campus.
- Updates to the Magic Kingdom Park’s Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor attraction, where they’ve been “studying new jokes and are ready to graduate to new comedic bits in honor of their alma mater.”
DISNEYLAND IN CALIFORNIA
- An updated lead float for the daily Pixar Play Parade at Disney California Adventure Park themed to Monsters University.
- A new Monsters University meet-and-greet in the Hollywood Land area of Disney California Adventure Park themed to the exterior of the MU university dorms.
Are you going to Disneyland or Walt Disney World this summer to check out the new Monsters University stuff? Let us know in the comments below!